Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 02:57:39 -0400
From:      Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   apache+php+mod_ssl from ports on boot

I'm trying to install apache+php+mod_ssl from the ports, which is all
from the FreeBSD-CURRENT distribution which I have installed by passive
ftp today. Everything went fine, though the mod_ssl version included
seems a bit outdated. The problem is that apache.sh won't start on boot
nor from the command line.

Here are my steps:
cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-php3
make USA_RESIDENT=NO (selected my sql server, zlib and mod_ssl)
make certificate (selected RSA and type 3)
make install
reboot

Possible problems:
1. Network could be down, but my gateway is up, running properly and
sendmail starts fine.
2. Oddly, it seems there are no httpd.conf-dist files, except in
/usr/ports/www/apache13-php3/work/apache... shouldn't those files be
moved during 'make install' to /usr/local/share/apache or
/usr/local/apache? The later directory doesn't seem to exist, though it
is mentioned in the apache manpage.
3. Maybe ssl needs more configuration than 'make certificate'. I'm not
familiar with ssl at all, but I have tried to read some documentation
and it's not for the faint of heart.

Apart from those three possibilities, I'm at a loss... any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Marc