Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 18:47:14 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mmercer@ipass.net
Subject:   Re: ClassNotFoundError when running Java2Demo.jar

Hi Michael,

> FreeBSD 4.0-Stable
> using patchset 7, unixODBC, dgs, am using the release build,
> Note: I am using the release build to bootstrap the build process...
>
> however this exception is thrown using the release java and the build/freebsd
> java...
> I have verified that both these classes are in the jre/lib/rt.jar file.
>
> I would also like to mention that the window size for most applications are too
> small,
> what I mean is if I just act as if I am resizing the window, then all the inner
> components
> get resized correctly...

Two things I've found recently improve things:

1. Lesstif 0.90.0 fixed some graphics quirks I was noticing with 0.89.9.
2. I'm testing a version of the awt toolkit which changes merged in from
   the Linux code that appears to lay things out a bit better (particularly
   in regards to the Java2DDemo, the Anim delay slider isn't all squeezed
   up and the Memory Monitor and Performance monitor are both visible).

> anyways,
>
> Run the Java2Demo
> > java -cp Java2Demo.jar Java2Demo
> or
> > java -jar Java2Demo.jar
>
> then goto the MIX tab,
> in the java media box ( lower left ) in the Mix1 tab,
> hit the play button on the sfx-medley.rmf
> This exception is thrown.
>
> Exception occurred during event dispatching:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/audio/HaeDevice

Difficult for me to test, as I haven't yet a machine with a working sound
card setup (yet :).  I did try it though and got:

AudioPlayer exited; audio device may not be accessible.

Which is entirely understandable :).

I know Kees Jan Koster (take a look at his web page) has had some success
playing sounds, although there appear to be some problems with the play
back for patchset 7 (which I need to get back to him about :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083