Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:03:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java et al

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mike Hoskins wrote:

> Excuse this if it's off-topic...  I couldn't think of the best place to
> ask this, and I am running STABLE on all production machines, so...
>
> We have a lot of proprietary code written in Java running on Wintel
> boxes.  There's been talk of migrating to Linux, and our initial tests
> show performance equal to NT 4.0 under the JDK/JVM's we've tested.
>
> Is there anyone out there running a lot of mission-critical
> (read: updating Oracle queues responsible for 911 dispatching) Java code
> under FreeBSD?

    I don't know that anyone will certify FreeBSD as OK for mission-
critical systems, and Java expressly disclaims suitability for mission-
critical applications.  IMHO, this is CYA more than anything else--no
one wants to be sued if air traffic control software written in Java
running on FreeBSD or some other platform routes two jumbo jets to the
same runway at the same time.

> If so, I'd appreciate JDK/JVM reccomendations, OS tuning tips (or relevant
> FAQs), etc.  If not...  I guess I'll resign myself to letting penguins
> slowly infiltrate my network (ack!).

    On a system that has kernel threads (i.e., not FreeBSD 4.x, but
coming in 5.x, IIUC), IBM JDK 1.3 with HotSpot enabled is wicked fast
compared to Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 (note that Blackdown 1.3.0 just came
out recently, and I'm trying to get it up and running here--so far so
good, but it complains about alt sigstack allocations--apparently
Andrew Gallatin's Linux sighandling patches did not make it into 4.2).
On a platform that doesn't have native kernel threads (e.g., FreeBSD
4.x), HotSpot will still be faster than JDK 1.2.2 with sunwjit, but
the results will not be nearly as dramatic.  For now, IIUC, ShuJIT is
the hot JIT to use on FreeBSD.

    I am presently working on getting the native FreeBSD JDK 1.2.2
port to work, because I believe that will be the stable fallback to
use for other applications (e.g., Star Office).  Blackdown JDK 1.3.0
will be an interesting exercise, but as I mentioned, I have to apply
Andrew Gallatin's patches to my kernel first.

    FWIW, the Linux-JDK 1.2.2 port ran just dandy on 4.1.1-STABLE.

    Note, however, that you'll have the same issues running Oracle on
FreeBSD that you have running JDK 1.3.0--namely, Oracle will expect
some Linux signal-handling capabilities that only exist in Andrew
Gallatin's patches.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer