Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 10:09:35 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        "Paul Moore" <gustav@morpheus.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD from floppy (ie, without a bootloader on the hard disk)

> Further down the line, I'd like to add FreeBSD as an option to my NT
> bootloader (I do not want to switch bootloaders, even if the FreeBSD=20
one is
> better...). To do this, I should only need a suitable MBR image which =

I can
> store in a file on the NT boot drive, and I can then change NT's=20
BOOT.INI to
> add FreeBSD. For later reference, can anyone tell me how I get a=20
FreeBSD
> MBR? (On Linux, I install the Linux MBR on the Linux disk instead of=20
the
> boot disk, and then peel it off using dd - is there an option to do=20
this
> with FreeBSD?)

> Thanks for any help,
> Paul Moore.

> PS In case I didn't make it clear, my key requirement is to make no=20
change
> at all to my existing NT disk - I want to isolate all my FreeBSD work =

to the
> second disk (at least for now).

Dear Paul Moore,

You might find the multi-os stuff (and related links) interesting,=20
which stuff is also found on-line at=20
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/index.html ; also, you might=20
want to search the archives for NT & FreeBSD booting issues. AFAIR,=20
specific problems have been discussed extensively a good number of=20
times.

I, too, use, (multa) inter alia, NT on the same box (3 HDs), but I=20
have adopted a different approach - ie I use a "fancy" boot loader --=20
which I don't feel like naming publicly for ... spam reasons.

Good luck,

Salvo