Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John F Cuzzola <vdrifter@ocis.ocis.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   MTU Path Discovery + ipfw/natd

Hello Everyone,
I have a question on why something works. Suppose I have a private net
that a BSD box is masquarading for like this:

ROUTER ----------- FreeBSD Box --------- Private Net 192.168.0.0/24

let's suppose the BSD box is masquarading through a public ip of
209.52.173.1. My question has to do with MTU Path Discovery. Suppose a
computer 192.168.0.1 sends a packet with the don't fragment bit set. This
packet's source address get's changed to 209.52.173.1 and sent to the
next-hop (in this example the router). Now let's say the router can't
handle the size of the packet and since it is not allowed to fragment, it
tries to send a icmp 3.4 message (Fragmentation needed but DF bit
set). Well the router will send that ICMP message to 209.52.173.1 and
192.168.0.1 would never receive it. I've never had any problems with
ipfw/natd but was curious why this scenario doesn't seem to happen. Can
anyone fill me in?

Thanks,
  John