Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 19:08:32 +1000
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jhb@freebsd.org>, <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, <imp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: kernel core

Howdy,

I've found the following sequence to be optimal from going from
pre-dirpref -current to post-dirpref -current and 4-stable to -current:

make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
make installworld
mergemaster
<reboot to single user>
fsck all partitions, answering yes to all prompts
tunefs -A -s <n> all partitions, where N > 0

I found that the newer fsck didn't help any.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au