Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:58:22 -0500
From:      Vladimir Silyaev <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD."ORG"
Subject:   Re: Does vmware2 wire pages?

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 08:45:40PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > The first part (hacking the Linulator) is unacceptable for general
> > consumption  & a better way needs to be found.  One thing I've thought
> > of is adding some functionality to the vmmon kernel module to force
> > the vmware app's mmap'ed regions to be MAP_NOSYNC.   I don't know
> > enough about how vmware works to achieve this & have not had the time
> > to look into it further.
>
> Matt and Vladimir, can the two of you figure out between you
> how to do this?  Vladimir knows the vmware side and Matt knows the VM options
> available.
Ok. From vmmon side memory wired in the next way:

        m = PHYS_TO_VM_PAGE(paddr);
        vm_page_wire(m);

All those pages have a file as backed media (or in another words pages
are coming from mmaped file). How file mmaped it's not handled vmmmon -
vmmon just making lock/unlock memory and translation between virtual and
physical addresses.

I hope that my five cents fill be helpful.

--
Regards,
Vladimir

P.S. Do we have any problems to make mmap (at least for linuxalator always
MAP_NOSYNC?