Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 17:42:38 -0000
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Juha-Matti Liukkonen <jml@cubical.fi>, David <mondschatten@mondschatten.tv>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Driver f. Asustek Cards

--On Sunday, December 23, 2001 00:29:40 +0200 Juha-Matti Liukkonen
<jml@cubical.fi> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Asustek cards come in two flavors, which are unfortunately impossible to
> tell apart from the box or the card type code. But you can look at the
> biggest square black chip on the card: if it reads "Winbond", it is
> supported with the iwic driver from I guess FreeBSD 4.0 onwards, but if
> the chip reads "2HFC" or something to that effect, the support is not yet
> ready (it is in the works, though, but not with great urgency).
>
> Asus should be sued for consumer misdirection, IMO, for selling two
> completely different cards under the same model and make number.
>
> Br,
> Jussi
>
>  On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, David wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've a Asustek ISDN Card (passive/PCI), and the www.de.freebsd.org told
>> me that it isn't supported (4.3 release). Are there another drivers that
>> support that card? Asus itself doesn't list this card on their site :-(

BT have done exactly the same with their ISDN card, i.e. changed the
chipset but not changed any of the product branding. Since Asus and BT were
two of the manufacturers we used to rely on as being supported it's causing
us some headaches getting working cards.

I tried to make a start on converting the isa driver to use PCI probing but
there was too much ISDN knowledge required that I don't have. The
separation of the ISDN attaching and the newbus attaching isn't as clean as
it should be and I couldn't unravel the two.

I'll happily spend some time after christmas trying to get these cards
working though if someone is willing to help me with the ISDN side of it.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com