Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 12:05:38 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        FreeBSD Java <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Subject:   Thanks! [Was: Are syscall wrappers needed in JNI?]

Hi,

I am pleased to tell you that I got my Unix domain sockets to
work. Thanks Ari, Greg and Nate for the clarifications that are
so neccessary to mitigate the horror of programming the poorly
documented JNI ;-)

I settled for calling the JVM_* functions in libjava.so (except
for bind which is not wrapped by the JVM and safe to call
directly). Reason for this is that this approach will make the
linker fail when a wrapped function is not available and I prefer
that over having it silently link directly to the unwrapped libc
call.

The code needs a little more polishing and I need to write a new
unit test still. I should be able to release (unsupported code
with a BSD or BeerWare license) the stuff within a week for those
who might be interested.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen@vangelderen.org

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it;
 and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I
 would also do that." -- Abraham Lincoln, August 22, 1862