Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 14:32:56 -0500
From:      Brad Cox <bcox@virtualschool.edu>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Brad Cox <bcox@virtualschool.edu>, <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Java crashes on FreeBSD?

This junit test run (run under linux) could be a clue if I knew
what's printing "Reaped pid..." and why. Is this the operating
system speaking or the JVM?

make test
JCE init start
JCE init msec: 5101
........Reaped pid = 4129, status = 0
............Reaped pid = 4134, status = 0
Time: 6.221

OK (57 tests)

And  what is getting "reaped" exactly? A heavyweight OS process?
A lightweight JVM thread? Java garbage?

In about 1 run out of 5, the run stops altogether at about the
point where the Reaped messages appear, so identifying what's
printing this could be a big clue.

The application is pure java + JDBC, no JNI, C, kernel calls,
whatever. I did a grep -r Reaped . in the JDK directory and got
no hits. Not sure where else to look.

java -version
java version "1.2"
Classic VM (build Linux_JDK_1.2_pre-release-v2, native threads, sunwjit)
Currently using the same version on FreeBSD for deployment,
which mysteriously crashes. The linux runs are to diagnose the
freebsd crashes, which is why this is posted to this list.

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 02:44 PM, Mikhail Kruk wrote:

> I think the problem is that you are using Linux version. You should try
> building native 1.2.2 or even 1.3 on FreeBSD and use them. While Linux
> emulation is good and everything it does seem to crash due to signal
> handling problems occasionally. Of course you have to make sure you are
> running "classic" mode of Linux JDK (it's in the jvm.cfg file). Under
> emulation IBM is less stable than Linux IMHO.
> I don't think jdk1.1.8 would be easy (possible?) to use for jetty. The
> best bet is to build native 1.3.1. If space it a problem you'll have to
> switch that Linux development box to FreeBSD and build there.
>

>> 	1) Is the Linux 1.2.2 port thought to be stable on FreeBSD?
>> 	2) Is reverting to JDK 1.1.8 likely to improve matters?
>> 	3) Is upgrading to IBM 1.3.x likely to improve matters if I can
>> overcome the space problem somehow?
>> 	4) Does someone have a cron script handy that could restart jetty
>> as a workaround?
>> 	5) Am on the wrong track altogether?

Brad Cox, Ph.D.; bcox@virtualschool.edu 703 361 4751
For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.
For everything else there is http://virtualschool.edu/mybank
Java Web Application Architecture: http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa