Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 01:32:30 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>, "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
Cc:        <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OT: need to buy 802.11 hardware; do the Cisco Aironet deviceswork w/ FreeBSD?

The only problem with the Cisco cards is that if they overheat
(we are talking 120 degrees here) they get fried - permanently.
And it doesen't take that much heat to fry them.  This is not
a problem if the antenna is not very high, but it is a real
problem with 200 foot masts because you want to run Ethernet
up the mast along with power, and put the transmitter at the
top in a weatherproof box.  (otherwise you kill your signal gain
if you put the transmitter down below)  When the afternoon sun
hits that box you better have good reflection and cooling
because if you don't - bye bye Aironet.

We've had customers fry the bridge units by leaving them in
the office window for days at a time and the hot sun comes in
and heats the box up to 120 degrees or so for a few hours and
a week later the unit's fried.  Or more specifically, the
PCMCIA card buried in the unit is fried, the rest of the
bridge electronics is fine.  In fact we've discovered you can
take the Aironet cards that are sold for laptop use and
take apart the bridge and replace the pcmcia card in it with
a laptop one, despite the fact that the numbers on the
cards are different, and the bridge will reprogram the laptop
PCMCIA card.  Saves an expensive Cisco factory repair.