Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 17:44:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NS 5530 audio supported?

cameron grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk> wrote:
 > www.natsemi.com, search for '5530'.

Thanks!

 > if you need a hand writing the driver i'll do my best to help, however i
 > suspect being able to make it work will depend greatly on the bios as this
 > thing generates smi's, not normal irqs.  the bios smi handler then generates
 > an irq.
 >
 > it does have all the support necessary to emulate a sb16, the question is
 > simply whether the board's bios implements it.

Hm.  This is all a bit too uncertain for me to spend 500 Euro.
I've had a look at the NS5530A datasheet, and it didn't really
make me feel much better.

I'll probably buy an external soundcard far that system instead.
Advantech offers an ALS12-based card for the PC/104 slot.
According to FreeBSD's HARDWARE.TXT, the ALS120 is supported.
I've never worked with PC/104 stuff before, but I guess it's not
too difficult to put the parts together.  :-)

(I also considered buying an USB audio DAC, but those don't seem
to be supported either.)

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions and support.

Regards
   Oliver