Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 10:50:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
Cc:        John Van Boxtel <jvb@whoowl.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: distributed natd

If you want to do failover between two NAT gateways, you can avoid
reinventing much of the high-availability wheel with the net/vrrp port and
taking things from there. VRRP was defined specifically to support router
failover. Perhaps you can piggyback state onto the advertisements?

You realise this generalises to high-availability aliased cluster services
with distributed locking & shared state, dontcha? [1]

[1] also known as vms clustering :)