Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:13:44 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        <veedee@c7.campus.utcluj.ro>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: fts_print bug?

On Fri, 23 Nov 2001 veedee@c7.campus.utcluj.ro wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about this?
>
> It didn't worked on my box (4.3-RELEASE), but it did make some directories
> which I can't erase anymore...
>
> [#] rm -r 4965/
> rm: fts_read: File name too long
>   Sorry for the messy output. A friend of mine found the "exploit" (see
> attachement) on BUGTRAQ.

I think the security holes in fts were fixed soon after they turned up
(this is an old exploit).

I fixed the bug in rm (rm was using FTS_NOCHDIR, wich prevents fts
handling deep directory).  The fix is in 4.3.  It still works for me.

cp, pax and pkg_install are the only applications in /usr/src that use
FTS_NOCHDIR.  It breaks at least cp in the same way as it breaks rm.

Bruce