Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 17:56:40 +0530
From:      "Ashutosh S. Rajekar Asr" <asr@calsoftinc.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD SMP support

Hello,

I was just wondering about how far the SMP support has reached in
FreeBSD. According to my impression, I feel that FreeBSD has moved away
from the single "GIANT" SMP lock, and uses separate locks for subsystems
like the ISR routines, spl system, etc. This should get preformance
improvements compared to Linux 2.2, which used a single kernel lock,
effectively permitting only one thread (or process) to be in the kernel
at the same time.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and preferably provide some pointer to
documents pertaining to the same.

Thanks,
Ashutosh S. Rajekar