Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:04:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brad Karp <bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   clock speedup on 4.3 SMP boxes

I've been experiencing clock speedup (that is, FreeBSD's notion of the
current time of day advances faster than real time) on two SMP boxes that
run 4.3-RELEASE.

The two motherboards:

	- Tyan S2567, with ServerWorks HEsl chipset
	- Intel STL2

On both motherboards, I use dual 1 GHz P-IIIs.

The clock acceleration appears to be directly proportional to the CPU load
on the machine. When I run large simulations that drive one or both CPUs to
100% utilization, the clock gain approaches one hour gain (or more!) per 24
hours real time! Though I run ntpd, ntpd quits once the clock drifts so far
so fast, of course.

I scoured the -smp archives, assuming that I'd see other reports if this is
a kernel SMP code bug. But I found no such reports. At that point, I'd only
seen the behavior on the Tyan S2567. So I sent the board to Tyan for repair!

Then, I began observing the same behavior on the Intel STL2 board. I now
fear that this is an SMP kernel bug.

Has anyone seen such clock gains under 4.3, or earlier releases?

Many thanks,
-Brad, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu