Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 10:16:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Future of IFS

As many of you know, we have a number of "variants" on the UFS/FFS theme
in src/sys/ufs.  In the past this has included mfs (now axed) and lfs (now
axed).  Currently, the denizens are ufs, ffs, ifs, and ext2fs.  With the
impending commit of a first draft of UFS2, we probably need to decide
what's happening with each of these.  The topic of this e-mail is IFS.

IFS provides a "short circuit" to access the filestore mechanism defined
in FFS.  It optimizes out the namespace for application services requiring
a filestore, but providing their own namespace/meta-data, and not wanting
to pay the cost of the filesystem namespace/meta-data service (either in
time for synchronous operation, or memory for soft updates).  Typically,
this type of filestore service is used for applications like Squid caches,
or could be used for applications like Coda that provide the namespace as
a pseudo-stack above the cache filestore.  In the past, services such as
AFS have attempted to avoid paying the price of the namespace through
calls such as iopen() or fhopen() (*).  IFS permits these applications to
run cleanly above the filestore.

However.  IFS currently does not have an active maintainer (Adrian Chadd
has indicated that his priorities currently lie elsewhere), and as far as
I know, we have no applications in the ports tree that make use of IFS.
This doesn't mean there aren't consumers of IFS, or no potential
maintainer, just that I don't know of them.  The UFS2 commit is going to
involve a fairly extensive overhaul of the FFS code, as well as having its
hands in the UFS tree.  Without an active maintainer and active consumers,
the IFS code is probably not something that can be maintained in the tree
over this sort of change.  I know Adrian had expressed the intent of axing
and re-implementing the current code in time for 5.0.  So...

The question: Are you (or have you ever been **) an active maintainer or
consumer of the IFS code.  Will you notice if IFS evaporates from the
souce tree?  Unless we have a highly active maintainer who can fix the IFS
problems that will turn up with the UFS2 commit, it would probably be best
to simply remove it now.  Pending a healthy and lively volunteer on the
IFS front, I will do so immediately following the commit of UFS2.

* An interesting question that has not been answered experimentally (in a
  published form) is whether or not this continues to be an important
  performance optimization.  In the past, it has been, but the behavior of
  systems has changed substantially since the last such performance
  analysis I've seen.

** A member of the communist party.