Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 16:56:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.ORG>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, <dave@jetcafe.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I wasn't referring so much to programming style, but rather to
> > language syntax.  And not so much to a particular language, as
> > computer languages can change much like human languages.  Really
> > what I was getting at was the principles involved.
>
> So was I; "Religion is to God as style(9) is to working C code".

Bad analogy.  C code is meaningless without some transcendental
preconditions that make it meaningful.  If there were no compilers,
linkers, syntactical rules, etc. coding in C would be pretty
unintelligible.

> I fail to believe that any single religion has sussed out the
> totality of the nature of God, or His desires.  They are just
> attempts at approximation.  Yet amazingly enough, each religion
> claims an exclusive distribution arrangement for The Truth.

That is because you are beginning with presuppositions that prevent
you from understanding that God is able to reveal Himself to man.
By the way, only Christianity can account for what you note above,
that no religion give us a comprehensive understanding of God.  The
Christian doctrine of God's incomprehensibility takes this into
account.

> Every time a natural disaster occurs, and the insurance companies
> claim it's not covered, as an Act Of God, it's very tempting to
> pick a church and sue them for damages, on the basis of their
> being God's representatives on Earth, and settle the matter once
> and for all.

What this fails to take into account is that all those natural disasters
are the result of God's judgement on the world for sin.  Suing God for
damages is the stupidest thing I ever heard of.  God *is* the highest
court of appeal, and your suit would most likely be overturned.  8-)

Neal