Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:04:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing Socket and New Addresses

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Andrew wrote:

> configured I get a RTM_NEWADDR message. The bit I'm confused with is the
> struct sockaddr associated with RTA_IFA (that I assumed would hold the IP
> of the interface) has an sa_family value of AF_IMPLINK. If I cast it to a
> struct sockaddr_in then s_addr is 0.

Well it turns out that this was a combination of a bug in my code (*red
face*) and something else. The something else I haven't quite worked out
but it seems that if I don't read the packet with one read call then the
packet is lost. Is this correct behaviour? I guess if the buffer is small
and a number of packets (such as wehn an interface goes up or down) then
it might happen but there shouldnt be that much time between read calls.

I'll play with it a bit more tonight.

Thanks,

Andrew