Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:14:28 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SoundBlaster Live! or PCI512 help

On Friday 08 February 2002 09:27 pm, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:45:36AM -0600, Bob Giesen wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip> .. all the /dev stuff looks just fine

> > > Try running the "play" command again *without* X running.
> > > It will fail with the error message you mentioned if your
> > > WM has grabbed /dev/dsp (for example artsd does with kde).
> >
> >    Quitting X did, indeed, take care of the error message.  I
> > tried "play" with several wav files and got no error messages --
> > or any other output (visual or audible), for that matter.  After
> > typing the command and pressing [Enter}, there was a brief delay
> > (~1-2 seconds) before I got my prompt back.  Presumably, "play"
> > chewed on the files in the interim, but all's still quiet...
>
> Mmm. I have done some more experiements, since installing
> 4.5-RELEASE I have not used sound much. It sems to work sometimes,
> and sometimes not. One strange thing is that startup sound from KDE
>  is not heard until you alt/F into another console and then it
> plays it !
>
> Does seem to be something wrong with the driver...

   Well, I figured I ought to give the KDE experiment a try, too --
but no dice.  I tried all my vty's and didn't hear anything.  I've
been playing around with different wm's and haven't been able to make
a peep with xmms and e-sound.

--
"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day -- give a fish a man and
he'll eat for a month." -- (author unknown)