Date:      Sun, 25 May 2003 13:35:11 -0500
From:      James Olson <jolson@cs.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems compiling sun jdk1.3.1

I have been having issues with installing the jdk1.3.1 port on freebsd -STABLE
I contacted the ports maintainer of the sun jdk1.3.1 and he referred me to this list as it
appears that there is an emulation issue.

I will paste what I've found so far.

in
/usr/ports/java/jdk13
I ran make and received the following error

<snip>

i386 Build started:   1.3.1-p8-nixer-030524-15:37
ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
ERROR: Your BOOTDIR environment variable does not point
       to a valid Java 2 SDK for bootstrapping this build.
       A Java 2 SDK 1.3.1 build must be bootstrapped against any
       1.3 build. Please update your ALT_BOOTDIR setting, or
       just unset it, and start your build again.

</snip>

Upon further inspection of this error, I found the error coming from
/usr/ports/java/jdk13/work/j2sdk1.3.1/make/tools/sanityck

Line 412

j=$BOOTDIR/bin/java$EXE
if [ -x $j ]; then

When I ran java in $BOODIR/bin (in my case /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.3.1/bin)
I received:

<snip>

ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
Abort trap
ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
Abort trap
ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
Abort trap
grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
grep: /lib/jvm.cfg: No such file or directory
ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found
Abort

</snip>

Inspecting the java binary I found that it was branded SYSV (which would make sense as to the errors)

> pwd
/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.3.1/jre/bin/i386/green_threads
> file java
java: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I then went through and branded each executable in /usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.3.1/ as Linux just to see if this
was the problem and received similar errors about ELF interpreter /compat/svr4/lib/ld-linux.so.2 not found

After perusing the web and google and talking to several people I couldn't find a solution and found that
other people have had the same problems and just gave up.  Any information on this that you could provide
would be extremely helpful and I will help in any way that I can.

-James