Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:59:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mathias Haas <mathias@haas.se>
Cc:        freebsd-firewire@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hotplug?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Mathias Haas wrote:

> In Linux (2.4.x kernel) and Windows it's possible to simply
> disconnect the drive and put it in a bag.

I don't know about Linux, but in Windows it is not OK to simply unplug
most removable hardware.  In Windows 2000 and later, you must use the
"Safely Remove Hardware" icon on your taskbar before removing any USB,
Firewire, PCMCIA, Hot-Plug PCI, and possibly some other types of
removable hardware.  If you don't use this feature, you will probably
get away with it most of the time, but you run the risk of damaging
hardware, corrupting a filesystem, losing data, or crashing the OS.
Windows tries to reduce the potential for lost data and/or corrupted
filesystems by either turning off the write-cache for removable
storage entirely, or keeping the write delay very short.

> I wanted to know if this is possible in FreeBSD as well.

No more than it is in Windows and Linux.  There are ways to lower the
chances of a failure on sudden removal of a device, but you can't
guarantee it 100% without the user first telling the OS that the
device is about to go away.

Remember, its called "Hot-Plug", not "Hot-Unplug". :-)

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest, most open, and most stable OS on the planet

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?