Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:04:48 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem on 1TB filesystem RAID 5 3ware

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:48:15 -0600, in sentex.lists.freebsd.hardware you
wrote:

>>There have been broken 3ware firmwares in the past that specifically
>>effected RAID5. A quick test of the same hardware under LINUX or win2k
>>would confirm if this is another firmware issue or driver specific. =
Another
>>common issue across all platforms (i.e. firmware issue) was changing =
the
>>disk stripe to anything other than the default 64k on RAID0 or 10.  =
This
>>too would break things on all operating systems.
>
>We'd like to use the 3ware 7000-2 in non-RAID JBOD, to get the supposed=20
>speed benefit of the 3ware "switch fabric", lower CPU overhead, etc. in=20
>high-volume SMTP relays.
>
>Will whatever 3ware+FreeBSD somewhat "discutable" 3ware problems show up=
 in=20
>JBOD mode or are the problems limited to RAID?

I have *many* 3ware cards deployed in FreeBSD in RAID1, one very large =
news
server with several RAID0 stripes (it blasts 25Mb/s onto the drives 24hrs=
day) running dnews with about 55 concurrent clients reading at peak =
times)
and a busy sql server in RAID10 with excellent results.  I cant speak to
RAID5 as I dont have any application for that configuration, nor JBOD.
However, I have tested a pair of drives in RAID 1 vs the same drive on a
regular ATA controller. Even in RAID1, the reads are faster as both
spindles seem to be used in an intelligent way and we had no difference =
in
write speed

with respect for the RAID5 issues, try "raid5, 3ware, corruption, linux" =
on
google...

http://www.google.ca/search?q=3Dcache:DXp1yfuL5RwC:computing.fnal.gov/cms=
/disk/performance/3ware/3Ware_CMS_Story.html+3ware+corruption+raid5&hl=3D=
en&ie=3DUTF-8

>Does anybody have experience or URL that says the 3ware 7000-2 @ $100 is=
=20
>sufficiently "better" to justify it over an Promise "Ultra133 TX2" @ =
$40?

as JBOD, I doubt you would see any significant difference.  If you want
RAID0,1 or 10, I highly recommend the 3ware.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)=09
http://www.sentex.net/mike