Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 01:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI backup error

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:

> Termination and termination power is OK in both buses. I strongly
> believe that it could be the firmware. It is an old and unmaintaned
> board with a build in SCSI bus so no chance for a firmware upgrade,
> checked that one already. I will probably switch it to another SCSI bus
> and see if that helps but in case of a firmware bug, that I strongly
> believe this is the case here, is there a workaround?

The driver could quirk around it, but you'd best contact gibbs@freebsd.org
for instructions on how to proceed. But please verify your interconnect is
100% solid -- 99.99% of SCSI problems are due to interconnect issues, and
justin doesn't have a lot of time to chase those down :)

> I recall that Adaptec had a firmware bug in all controllers with earlier
> versions than 3.00.

That's be news to me. I've used hundreds of adaptec boards with 2.5X
firmware with no issues, at least the ahc-core stuff.  ahd (Ultra320) is a
whole nother ballgame.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org