Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2004 01:41:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISA card and if_ed as module

[keep replies to the list and I'll catch up later, thanks]

> : Is it to be expected that the kernel if_ed.ko module appears to
> : be unable to probe and attach an ISA NIC, while when I build the

> Yes and No.  If the ISA nic is PNP, it will just work.  IF not, you
> have to have the 'hints' in the kernel.  I have the hints framework
> backported, but I don't know if it was ever committed.

Too old for pnp, so I'm out of luck there.  I have hints on my
-stable machine (for other reasons), and I can see that they
show up in the `loader' environment, but that still isn't enough
to probe the device.

I'll assume this means that hints doesn't work (hasn't been
backported) in -stable.  Would it be possible for me to get a
copy of your work to see if that's enough to make the NIC appear?
A pointer would suffice -- particularly if others would want to
try it -- unless you prefer to mail it.  (I've looked quickly for
obvious differences between -stable and -current that would be
relevant but don't really see them)

And yes, the NIC does show up in -current, so while part of the
framework is in -stable, actually turning those environment hints
into action just doesn't happen.

thanks
barry bouwsma