Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:52:48 -0400
From:      Kurt Miller <truk@optonline.net>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LoadPlugin Issue with JDK1.3.1 and Mozilla 1.7.2

From: "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
> I don't develop Java apps for FreeBSD but use the JDK ports
> because I thought it necessary in order to view java apps
> in the browsers (?).  I currently run FreeBSD 4.9 and experiment
> with Mozilla 1.7.2, Firefox 0.9.3, and Galeon 1.3.17.
>
> All three browsers have been crashing consistently and I suspect
> that part of the problem may lie with the error message I receive
> stating:
>
> LoadPlugin: Failed to initialize shared library /usr/local/
> jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so [/usr/local/
> jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so: Undefined
> symbol "_vt$16nsQueryInterface"]

A user on OpenBSD ran into this recently... The issue is that
the netscape folks add functions to the nspr library without
properly incrementing the minor version number. This leads
the dynamic loader to believe it can use the nspr library from
the nspr port when it can't.

Mozilla, Firefox and Galeon all set LD_LIBRARY_PATH such
that it should pick up the nspr library that comes with Mozilla
(or Firefox). There could be a bug in the FreeBSD dynamic
loader that is causing it to ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
to look at /usr/local/lib before LD_LIBRARY_PATH (OpenBSD
had a bug here too, BTW).

> I had a chance to review the archives and it appears as though
> I should use the Java Development Kit 1.4.1.  Is this correct?
> If so, are there any hints or secrets you might want to pass along
> before I port the linux version in?

With the 1.4.2 jdk nspr is just a bulid depend and can be
uninstalled after you've built the jdk. So you can work around
the problem by switching to 1.4.2 and deinstalling nspr after
building it.