Date:      Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:38:42 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Annoyances with passive thermal code (acpi_thermal)

I've noted an unpleasant mis-behavior in acpi_thermal.

1. Killed powerd
2. Set dev.cpu.0.freq to 1200 (I was on batteries and wanted to stretch
   them)
3. Started a BIG build...openoffice

The temp went up over _PSV and the CPU was slowed to 1050. The CPU
cooled for a while and the freq was reset to 1800 which started draining
my battery way too fast.

Ideally, acpi_thermal should store the frequency when it cuts speed and
restore that speed when the CPU cools, not the maximum speed.

Not a huge problem as I caught it before my battery was too badly
impacted, but it would have been really annoying if I had had the
battery die before I noticed. Since I run with write cache on my disks,
this could have been a disaster with all of the file activity the build
of openoffice was generating. (OK. Building openoffice under these
circumstances my be a bad idea, but it takes many hours to build and I
try to get it built when I can.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)