Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2005 23:23:59 +0100
From:      Rink Springer <rink@stack.nl>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        ed@fxq.nl
Subject:   FreeBSD/xbox: updated 7.0 patchset

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

Hello everyone,

I'd like to present my 7.0-CURRENT XBOX patches. If you put 'options
XBOX' in your kernel after applying this patch, you will get a kernel
that is bootable on both ordinary i386 PC's as well as XBOX'es. 'device
xboxfb' is an XBOX-capable frame buffer.

You can download the patches from
http://rink.nu/downloads/xbox-patches/xbox-7-current.diff. I hope this
patch will be committed to the FreeBSD source tree. Let me know any
suggestions for improvements.

The XBOX option depends on I686_CPU and will error out if it is not
supplied. The overall patch is just over 1000 lines, mainly due to the
framebuffer driver. You will need the most recent CVS version of
Cromwell [1], as it now fakes FreeBSD boot info so the initial entry
won't halt the CPU. This removes the patches in the locore.s file.

For some reason, the kernel will not work fine if you have syscons in your
kernel. This only affects the XBOX, so either syscons crashes it somehow
or it gets a higher priority. However, as the current framedriver driver
needs to be syscon(4)-ized, I intend to port the framebuffer to the VESA
framework. Assistance on this is very welcome.

Finally, I am willing to maintain this so future FreeBSD's will run on
the XBOX without any issues. Work is underway for the nForce ethernet as
well as an improved syscons(4)-able console driver.

[1] This is the Linux BIOS for the XBOX; it was patched in order to boot
    FreeBSD correctly.

--=20
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"God, root, what is difference?"                  - Pitr, Userfriendly

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP--