Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2007 02:20:45 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>
Subject:   Re: 100s of xorg ports, will there be an xorg-base port?

--nextPart2202226.5UXf444F5p

On Saturday, 7. July 2007, Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> > Please explain what the problem is.  If you choose to install the xorg
> > metaport then the ports system will automatically fetch and install the
> > dependencies.  Exactly what aren't "most people" happy about?
>
> I guess it is mostly psychological but people do not tend to like a lot
> of ports installed with each app as usually this means more difficulties
> when upgrading etc. Maybe this is superficial but at the least it is
> discouraging people from using X with FreeBSD or upgrading to 7.2.
> People are not happy because of the simple reason that one has to
> install 300-400 more ports (especially without a possibilit to select
> what to not to install) to get X running nowadays.

I believe this is pretty much a non-issue. X.org hasn't really grown in=20
complexity (at least as far as the end-user is concerned) or size just=20
because the monolithic ports are no more. I am rather certain future X.org=
=20
updates won't be nearly as involved, if at all, as the monolithic 6.9 ->=20
modular 7.2 transition.

Also I suspect you underestimate the problems a stripped down installation =
of=20
X.org can bring on machines running the actual server, which seems to the=20
kind of installations you have in mind. X.org is not very good yet at telli=
ng=20
exactly what is missing if some particular feature/extension or driver the=
=20
user wants happens not to be installed, neither are most users familiar=20
enough with X to make a well-informed decision what components they really=
=20
want when faced with an options menu.

Augmenting X.org with some sort of plug'n'play front-end for hardware=20
detection and automatic driver installation therefore might be a worthwhile=
=20
project, but it's probably outside the scope of a port Makefile.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org