Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:12:32 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.1-release on PowerBook G4 - is firewire disks supported?

On Oct 9, 2010, at 7:29 PM, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Hello,
>=20
> Are firewire drives supported in FreeBSD 8.1-release on powerpc?
>=20
> I am trying to install FreeBSD 8.1-release on a PowerBook G4[1] I =
have.
> The internal disk drive contains OS X, and will continue that way. So =
> am trying to install FreeBSD on an external drive I have, a Maxtor
> firewire drive.  This drive shows up both in OS X and in Open =
Firmware,
> but after booting the FreeBSD install image (disc1), it is nowhere to
> be seen.
> - there are no nodes in /dev for it (I used echo /dev/* to verify)
> - camcontrol devlist -v lists only the memory stick I am booting from
> - camcontrol rescan all doesn't change anything

I recently ran into the same problem.  Firewire support is built in to =
the kernel but not, I discovered, the sbp device support.  So, to get =
FireWire drives to show up, you need to "load sbp" from the FreeBSD boot =
loader.  The easiest way to do this is to press space when you get the =
countdown to booting the kernel from the FreeBSD boot loader.  This will =
drop you into the FreeBSD boot loader prompt.  Then, type "load sbp" =
followed by "boot" to boot FreeBSD.  The booted system will then =
recognise your external FireWire drive as a daX device.

Cheers,

Paul.