Date:      15 Aug 2010 00:27:02 -0000
From:      John Levine <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        peter@vfemail.net
Subject:   Re: Open Mail Relay

>Is Abuse.net's test adequate to rule out an open mail relay problem?

It's pretty thorough, and most MTAs have default configurations that
don't permit relay, so it's much less of a problem than it was when I
wrote the tester many years ago.  I don't try to check for weak SMTP
AUTH passwords, a hole that some spamware exploits, so if you do AUTH,
it's conceivable that could be it.

In your case, though, I would wait for the complainer to forward you a
message or two with headers so you can figure out where is spam is
coming from.

Regards,
John Levine, postmaster@abuse.net, http://www.abuse.net, Trumansburg NY
abuse.net postmaster