Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2011 00:47:26 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL issues
References:  <CAN6yY1v%2BQSZfjsx11NO-ZC9pYPAgCGrxsJFfP_FGA-7qrWr%2Beg@mail.gmail.com> <4E25E739.2020301@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1vm3_fviB1KzBAGZn=akXBD6rPeEGwpeu_8OS7V4cis7w@mail.gmail.com> <4E277870.8010506@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1srFGCysNj7D9Vg4xxmB9LGW3gEKfPQFUA7GmD-RavM=A@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1t9dpCofRhH3JS2LSoQpwr6=4T1Ob_Ra6X7M=_8RaBStg@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1uBXmgeR7Vr5BMx%2BB8VFDRoKh5H6AYAwcg4oiYYbHL6uA@mail.gmail.com> <4E34D33D.4090501@freebsd.org> <CAN6yY1tgAYnPjATuMfNwhNDRHgrwa438L41pBX6JQ0agwonDUw@mail.gmail.com> <CAN6yY1tjh2gN=dBubfFfR2-OrMP4wdy6B=aRWZFXp-jeu9e%2BrQ@mail.gmail.com>

On 8/3/11 6:15 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Try http://www.marcuscom.com/downloads/patch-hald_freebsd_hf-storage.c
>>>
>>> Joe
>>
>> No difference that I can see. When I plug the disk in, nothing
>> happens. lshal only reports da0. If I do a geli attach of da0s3, all
>> three file systems mount. All is as it should be. If I unmount all of
>> them and disconnect/re-connect, nothing mounts, again. If I
>> fsck_msdosfs /dev/da0s2, it mounts all three filesystems, but the file
>> system on da0s1 is not added to .hal-mtab, so I have to edit the file
>> to unmount it.
>>
>> All of this is exactly what was happening prior to the latest patch.
>> The annotated hald verbose output is attached, though it may or may
>> not be useful.
>>
>> If I get a bit of time, I'll build hald for debugging an see if I can
>> find out what is happening. I've read enough of the code that I may be
>> able to figure out what is needed. I assume that you don't have any
>> disks configured to do this.
>
> Joe,
>
> Any clues about how to debug hald?
>
> I built hald with WITH_DEBUG and can start it in gdb, but I let it do
> its initial
> run and then interrupt and set break-points only to get:
> Continuing.
> *** [DIE] hald_runner.c:runner_died():204 : Runner died
>
> Program exited with code 01.
>
> Is there a way to avoid this or am I going to be stuck with debug via
> print statements? :-(

I never use WITH_DEBUG.  I think I was able to debug hald, but it's been
a while.  I would build with "-g -O -pipe" and set STRIP= .

I don't see what could be causing the problem you're seeing.  I suppose
there may be a problem seeing all of the file systems on the disk.  I
don't have a removable disk with multiple file systems, and I don't use
geli.  You might be better off using printf's to look at the hf-storage
code at the time the disk attaches.  Walk through the code paths there.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org