Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2015 14:34:42 -0500
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   There's a whole lot of X34x0's out there that fail.

>From what I've read around here, an entire swatch of CPUs have a problem
--- they have all the virtualization gunk save the ability to run in16 bit
mode in emulation.  An example would be the X34x0 ... the cornerstone
processor for an entire generation of servers.  I, for instance, have four
of them.

The "fail" in the subject line is about their inability to do two things
under bhyve:

1) launch linux through grub

2) have a VM with more than one processor

Can we adopt what linux does to work around it?  Is it even necessary to
boot linux with Grub?