Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2016 17:06:56 +0200
From:      Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot login in after running freebsd-update install

Hello,

I just run `freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install`. Everything =
went=20
rather smoothly except one error message which I ignored (I guess it was=20=

    cap_mkdb: potential reference loop detected

but I am not sure). Unfortunately, I was unable to `login`, `su` and =
`sudo`.=20
I was getting log messages like

    login_getclass:  'tc=3D' reference loop 'root'
    pam_acct_mgmt: error in service module

I rebooted and booted in single user mode (since I couldn't log in when =
I=20
started in multiuser mode). I tried to run

     cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

but I was getting the "cap_mkdb: potential reference loop detected" =
every time.

Apart from that I ran `mergemaster` and `freebsd-update rollback` but it =
didn't=20
solve the issue.

Finally, I fixed the issue by removing  ":tc=3Ddefault:" from the =
default login=20
class in /etc/login.conf and running `cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf` =
afterwards.

Why did `freebsd-update install` broke /etc/login.conf? Is there =
anything I did
wrong/could have done better?

Cheers,

-mateusz