Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:33:25 -0400
From:      "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

From: "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
>> I would be very interested to know as I would like a UNIX machine that
can
>> maintain and IP address.
>
> Use the same exact NIC.
>
> Often, once the cable company sees a MAC address, it filters all
> other MAC addresses from getting a lease from your wire.
[ ... ]

What you say is absolutely true, but you can use the same MAC address
without using the same NIC.  Something like a Linksys Etherfast DSL router
will proxy MAC addresses for you, if you want an appliance which also works
as a $20 per port 10/100 switch.

Although there's nothing wrong with running a FreeBSD box as your Internet
gateway, firewall, and NAT box instead.  Can you get 4-port 21x4x cards for
less than $80 these days?

-Chuck