Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:29:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drive layout

Salvo Bartolotta writes:
> AdNsi is, IIRC, an old (compatibility) scheme. I am not quite sure how
> it works when you have more than one slice on the same disk (e.g.
> ad0s1a, ad0s1e, ad0s1f; ad0s2a, ad0s2e, ad0s2f ...); on the other
> hand, I use the ordinary label(l)ing in my /etc/fstab.

Is that a typo? Do you really mean "adNi"? (i.e. - ad0a, ad1c, etc?).
If so, that was the original BSD naming scheme, and is probably still
used on systems with disks that don't have slices. In particular, it
was used for dangerously dedicated disks on FreeBSD at one
point. Those disks don't have more than one slice.

These days, the name adNx and adNs1x are identical (i.e. - I get the
same file systems for them on either a DD or a sliced disk on
-current). However, I continue using the adNx names for dangerously
dedicated disks. Not only does it make logical sense, it is then
obvious that they *are* DD, so you don't try tweaking the slice table.

	<mike