Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:53:51 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        pirat sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>, Sean Harding <sharding@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Cc:        David Knapp <dknapp@luciamar.k12.ca.us>, "newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Difference between Linux and FreeBSD

At 10:06 AM 7/17/98 +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:

>as long as one use freebsd for oneself for educational purpose,
>for research work, not for commercial, one can say that freebsd is free
>and so does linux. we care also about license.

Uhhm, not sure if I understood you right here, but FreeBSD *can* be used
commercially, completely free of charge, including being altered, WITHOUT
having to release source code to anybody.  In fact, such commercial use is
actively encouraged, because it attracts others to FreeBSD as well (the
main goal is to have as many people as possible using FreeBSD!).  So can
Linux, but source code has to be made available if you make any alterations
whatsoever (giving your commercial competitors free access to whatever
customizations/additions/enhancements you've made).  With FreeBSD, no
source code has to be released.  That's the major difference between the
GPL and the FreeBSD license (I think there are other minor ones as well).
Pirat - if you get Usenet, check out comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc for an
ongoing discussion on this topic (see Jordan K. Hubbard's posts mostly, and
ignore the inevitable Linux Vs. FreeBSD flaming).

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.