Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:42:26 +0300
From:      Siris Vasilios <vsiris@csi.forth.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, vsiris@csi.forth.gr
Subject:   seeking advice: cpus, scsi & raid

Hi

I will need a fast data crunching workstation (or two of them) and after
my initial experience
with FreeBSD I will be sticking with it (and telling othe people about
it). The intention of this
email is to receive some feedback as regards to the tradeoffs of some
hardware components.

The workstation is targeted primary for storing and analysing large
amounts of network traffic measurements. This translates to a high
performance (PIII Xeon
or 2 PIII@500Mhz), high data transfer from/to large disk (>30 GB). The
system is
not intended to be used by a large number of simultaneous users.  Here
are my questions

Q1: Given that I need fast processing for few users (max 3-4), would
a PIII Xeon@500Mhz
be preferable (cost/performance) compared to a 2 PIII@ 500 Mhz ? Of
course this is related to
how faster a Xeon processor is, but is also related to how well FreeBSD
can take advantage of a multiprocessor system.

Q2: How much better sould I expect a SCSI drive to perform compared to
an EIDE (note
that this question refers to the particular application environment).
(Although, due to budget
constraints I might end up getting one SCSI-based and one-EIDE based)

Q3: Though I will get a tape backup, I might be considering some other
form of backup/
fault tolerant system. What are the options/tradeoffs (RAID,  mirror of
hard disk, etc), and
what do other people consider an good solution for the particular
application environment.

Thanks for time & keep up the good work on FreeBSD !!!

--
Vasilios A. Siris
Institute of Computer Science, FORTH

Heraklion, Greece