Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:26:07 -0700
From:      "Stephen Hansen" <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Preparing for a Good Setup -- hdd partitioning

    Yippie. My 4.0 CDs just came in the mail, so i'm getting more ready to
start running it on
my machine, but before I do, I sorta want to be completely-prepared for
everything that's
going to come up -- besides the basics of IRQ's and whatnot.

    My primary question for the time beign is -- What should my hdd layout
be?

    I will be duel-booting between Win98 and the FreeBSD; I intend on
splitting my 10gig
hdd evenly between the two, I suspose.

    I am on a p2-400mhz w/ 128megs of ram -- how large should my swap
partition be?
I seem to vaguely remember in either a past FreeBSD installation or a linux
one, that the
program wanted to split my hdd even more, into like, /, /var, and /usr -- is
that nessecary,
or is there any advantages to doing so?

    Also, I know its possible to shrink a Fat32 partition, but is it
possible to grow the
FreeBSD one? In case I decide in the future that I really don't need to give
Windows
that much space. :)

Thanks,

--Stephen