Date:      Sat, 06 Jul 1996 12:46:02 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface info...

"Brian J. McGovern" wrote in message ID
<199607040436.AAA13070@spoon.beta.com>:
> Are there any prebuilt functions for looking at the packet info of an
> Ethernet interface (a la netstat)? Just curious, as i can look at the
> filesystem(s) with fsstat. Thanks.

Define ``looking at the packet info'' please. You can ``sniff'' the
ethernet with tcpdump, and `netstat -ib' gives packet & byte counters
on a per-interface basis. `netstat -a -finet' gives all open sockets
on the system (including `server' sockets which are listening for
incoming connections).

If you are looking for an association socket <-> process, look at
`netstat -A' and then you can match the PCB address with that reported
by `fstat'.

(e.g. from my machine) :

root@palmer:/> netstat -A
Active Internet connections
PCB      Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address      Foreign Address    (state)
f0877000 tcp        0      0  localhost.ppp      localhost.xinupage ESTABLISHED
f0883800 tcp        0      0  localhost.xinupage localhost.ppp      ESTABLISHED
root@palmer:/> fstat | grep f0883800
gary     telnet     14908    3* internet stream tcp f0883800
root@palmer:/>

That is about all the information that is ``readily'' available on
ethernet type interfaces and the `packet information'. If you use
`trafshow' from ports, you can get some sort of display of active
traffic on your local ethernet segment, but I haven't actually used
this myself.

Gary