Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 1999 17:46:17 -0500
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What kind of attack is this?

At 05:25 PM 12/8/99 -0500, Robert Mooney wrote:
>What about changing that machine's IP,

I was going to do that, but wanted to observe for a while.  It wasn't an
important system, and I can't learn anything if I can't watch it in action.

>or throwing up a temporary firewall
>in between the outside and this machine (sounds illogical, but possible,
>especially in a situation where a temporary fix is needed ASAP)?

I've got a firewall already built up.  But like I explained in another
post, although I'd like to just drop it in, it's not quite that easy.

>Are people on the net supposed to be able to get to this machine?

Yes.  I don't have a lot of pull, and the powers that be here sway more
towards giving individual employees the power to do just about anything
they want over the internet and security takes a back seat.  Just getting
everyone to let me install AV software is like pulling teeth.  So the
firewall solution will end up being open by default, and blocking that
which is bad.

>What machines in your militarized zone do you have that require incoming
>UDP packets that don't send outgoing UDP packets first?

Well that's a tricky one.  How do you set up a filter/rule to figure THAT
out? (whether a UDP packet coming in from a host was in response to one it
received earlier)

Some of the things we have going on here that use UDP are ICQ, NTP, and
DNS.  I believe RealPlayer uses UDP too.  Probably others.

>IPF is neato in this respect, as you can block all incoming UDP, yet
>give outgoing UDP state.

Yeah, I know... but IPF isn't happening right yet.  My priority is to
figure out a name for this sort of attack so I can communicate
intelligently and read up more about it, and figure out how to trace
it.  Blocking it will happen but isn't as critical because 1) it's not
targeted towards an important system, and 2) the firewall WILL come which
WILL fix this, I know.

I suspect this to be a retaliation of a personal nature from someone
against one of our employees.

>Yes, definately block everything except what's needed.  And then question
>yourself and others on what really is needed.

Which is what I'd like to do, but what I like to do and what needs to be
done here are seldom the same thing.  I will push for a closed-firewall but
it'll probably end up being open by default when it goes up.

>If Ascend's ruleset isn't as flexible as you'd like, you could probably
>set up a BSD box on the local network side of the Ascend, and use it as a
>firewall.  Seriously consider IPF.

I am, I am, I am... but in the interim... :)