Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:41:18 -0700
From:      Joe <ibjoe@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio boot / console configuration?

OK, Joe, if you would just RTFM you would know...

refer to the file: /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial

There you see, all you have to do is make sure that sio0
is configured with flags 0x10 in the kernel.
Then create a file in / called boot.config
with one line containing -P

Now when you unplug the keyboard the serial terminal will be a console.

But oops, once it boots up that console doesn't work anymore.

So edit the file /etc/ttys for
ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure
so the serial port still works after boot.

That's all there is to it!

duh....