Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 99 00:00:21 +0100
From:      Ben Stuyts <ben@stuyts.nl>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDR says: Attempt to query device size failed...

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> > (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): READ CD RECORDED CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
> > (cd1:ahc0:0:5:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
> > cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
> > cd1: <PHILIPS CDD2600 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> > cd1: 3.300MB/s transfers
> > cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit not
> > ready, cause not reportable

> It probably just means your drive doesn't have a CD in it.  I've seen
> similar reports for other Philips and HP CD-R drives.  In fact, that's why
> 0x04-type errors are acceptable for the CD driver's attach routine.  It
> used to be that if it got an error back, the CD driver would only continue
> to attach if that error was a "medium not present" error.  Because of those
> Philips and HP drives, though, the CD driver will attach even if the error
> is a "not ready" type error.

Makes sense. I forgot to mention in my original post that I also have another
cdrom player in my system, and it doesn't generate this error. (cd0:
<MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-506 8S05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device) That's why I
thought it was odd.

> Did you boot with -v?  You probably shouldn't be getting the "large" error
> message above, just the condensed error message from the CD driver if
> you're not booting with -v.

Yes, I did boot with -v. I though it would be useful to give some more info
about what the driver returned. If I boot w/o -v, I just get the last three or
four lines of the message.

Thanks for the reply!

Ben