Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:58:59 -0400
From:      Tatsu Ikeda <tatsu@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   boot easy question

Hi,

I just installed FreeBSD for the very first time, I am duly impressed!
Took a lot of preparation, but when it came time to do it, the install
went flawlessly. It seems like a great system, I haven't seen UNIX for
several years. (Since my days at CMU)

Anyway, since I now have 3 OS's on my computer, I thought, "What the
heck, I'll see what linux is all about!" and decided to install it.
I downloaded Redhat 5.1 and installed it.

Unfortunately, boot easy won't "see" my linux partition on my hard drive
(only one). So I have yet to boot linux. (I installed LILO on the boot
sector, not in MBR, because I thought boot easy would be a better boot
manager:) I know it should see all my partitions, because it even saw my
NTFS partition, which had nothing on it, before I deleted it to make
room for linux.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have 4 partitions, FAT16 (with
both NT and 95), BSD, linux, and linux Swap.

I have to say, the FreeBSD installer was just as nice as Redhat's, plus
it found my ethernet card. (linux didn't find it, grrr..) I thought
Redhat's installer was a bit more "user-friendly", though. The
descriptions of the packages were a nice touch. Not being to network
sort of defeats the whole purpose though. Or boot it, for that matter.
Sigh.

Thanks so much, and thanks to the FreeBSD team for a great system. I'm
having a lot of fun exploring BSD style UNIX! I'm writing this in
Netscape 4, it's wicked cool.

Please send any responses to tatsu@toth.com,
Tatsu Ikeda