Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:07:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Domas Mituzas <midom@delfi.lt>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mly driver does not work with SCA in up-to-date 4.3

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Mike Smith wrote:

> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > > I *knew* that interfacing this driver to CAM was a bad idea, and I
> > > was right. 8(
> >
> > I'm kinda glad you did, since when I had to pull the Mylex controller
> > when I could no longer get the system to boot, I just hooked one of
> > the disks from the RAID1 array onto a regular SCSI controller and
> > never had to edit fstab since the device name never changed.  Its only
> > a minor advantage, I know.  What is it about CAM that doesn't fit well
> > with what you're doing?
>
> This, just for starters. 8)
>
> Basically, CAM insists that things behave exactly like SCSI disks,
> etc.  And RAID arrays just don't; the driver has to fake up all
> sorts of rubbish like whether the array supports disconnect,
> tagged queueing, its transfer rate, etc.

I gather this would also cause problems for putting the ATA stuff
under the CAM umbrella?  I thought the idea behind CAM was to be
somewhat generic in nature, not SCSI-specific.

> I thought initially that because the array uses a subset of
> SCSI-like commands, it'd make sense.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
> support enough of them to be useful.  A wiser compromise would be
> to have an optional CAM interface that can talk to non-disk
> devices on the SCSI bus and just interface the disks directly to
> the bio layer, as I used to do with other drivers.

Would this help out the aforementioned ATA-under-CAM problems?

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org