Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:26:35 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Greg Lehey' <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: What would happen if a vinum drive failed?

	yes

> drive 1 device /dev/da1h
> drive 2 device /dev/da2h
> drive 3 device /dev/da3h
> volume foo
>   plex org concat
>     sd size 4g drive 1
>     sd size 4g drive 2
>     sd size 4g drive 3
>
> And you're asking what happens if drive 3 (subdisk foo.p0.s2) dies?

	yes

> In this case, your drive stays up, your plex (foo.p0) is degraded, and
> your subdisk is obviously down.  If you're very lucky, you can access
> some data on the drive, but effectively this is not a good way to do
> things, since you can't control the layout of files in a ufs file
> system.

	Ok, that's what I wanted to know.  I was under the impression that
if drive 3 failed the whole volume was then be unavailable.  But if the
volume would still be available, I assume I could recover what was on drive
1 and drive 2 and then, work from there.

	Yes I know, and I do keep backups, but if the volume is at least
workable I should at least have what's in /usr available to me (since it was
the 1st thing I copied to the volume), until I can recover the system.

	That, and quite frankly it was idle curiosity.

> If you want protection against drive failure, you have two choices:
> RAID-1 or RAID-5.  Corresponding configurations would be:

	Nah, not at this point, it's not mission critical.  And
unfortunately my drives are of different sizes otherwise I would have setup
striping.  Thanks for the info though.

> (RAID-1)
>
> drive 1 device /dev/da1h
> drive 2 device /dev/da2h
> drive 3 device /dev/da3h
> volume foo
>   plex org concat
>     sd size 12g drive 1
>   plex org concat
>     sd size 12g drive 2
>
> (RAID-5)
> drive 1 device /dev/da1h
> drive 2 device /dev/da2h
> drive 3 device /dev/da3h
> drive 4 device /dev/da3h
> volume foo
>   plex org raid5 512k
>     sd size 4g drive 1
>     sd size 4g drive 2
>     sd size 4g drive 3
>     sd size 4g drive 4
>
> Each of these examples will give you a 12 GB volume, and the failure
> of any one drive will not affect availability (though it will affect
> performance).  The original version uses 12 GB of disk, the RAID-1
> version uses 24 GB, and the RAID-5 version uses 16 GB.

	Thanks again for the info, and thanks for vinum, it really has made
life a little easier on me.

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

	-Chris