Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:01:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't open ../conf/devices.i386

Hello all,

I'm trying to follow the directions in UPDATING and my fbsd 3.4-stable is
being far from cooperative.

I started out with:
        To build a kernel
        -----------------
        Update config, genassym and go:
                cd src/usr.bin/genassym
                make depend all install clean
This crashed when I ran 'make depend...'

I then realized I wasn't supposed to start here I was supposed to start
with:
        To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
        --------------------------------
        cd /usr/src
        make buildworld
        cd sbin/mknod
        make install
        <follow directions to build/install a kernel>

So, this all went fine until I tried to config my kernel. I ran
/usr/sbin/config COMPUTER_NAME I got the error on the subject line. I read
in the fbsd mail archives that I was supposed to do at make install world
in /usr/src. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong? I
searched the archives and found I was supposed to look in UPDATING to
figure out how to upgrade to 4.0.

Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

David
doc@wcug.wwu.edu
Washington State Resident
ICQ 21106703