Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 15:50:17 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: PPPCTL for Win32 available (2) - sorry bad URL

W Gerald Hicks wrote:

> Maybe *I* missed something...
>
> Oh I did!ššš Sources pleaseš :-)

Ok, I put the sources in the archive (
http://homepages.infoseek.com:80/~sobomax/pppctl/pppctl-win32-0.11.zip ). This
sources can be useful not only to Windows owners, but to those FreeBSD'ers who
uses pppctl often, because I've patched original pppctl to use GNU Readline
library instead of BSD Editline and I found that Readline is in fact better for
command line editing purposes. It should compile without a problem on FreeBSD -
all Win32 dependent stuff made with #ifdef.

> I agree that these sort of facilitators are helpful with deploying
> FreeBSD but wonder what this one achieves that couldn't be done with a
> simpler sockets program perhaps wrapped in a GUI?š That could be
> implemented easily in Tcl/Tk on Win32.

GUI is not really needed for pppctl, however maybe some time...

> Would a port for a cross-toolchain hosted onš FreeBSD to target Win32
> be useful?š Then yours and other similar applications could be supported
> by the ports framework.

Yes it should be useful (as far as I know Cygwin toolchain supports
cross-compiling and it is open-source), however it's too involved for me to make
such port. My goal was far more simpler - I ported application, which I think
may be useful not only for me but to all FreeBSD community.