Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:04:19 +0300
From:      =?koi8-r?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA=20=F7=2E=20=EF=CC=C5=CA=CE=C9=CB?= (Andy   V. Oleynik) <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Dan Lazin <dan@alphamale.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail no longer relaying, now giving me 'Host unknown' error

This is DNS or resolver problem.
Dan Lazin wrote:

> I've forced sendmail to queue the mail. I then sent it one message to my
> user account (which, as usual, still got to me after the queue-process) and
> another to my geocities account via the 'booty' alias. I then ran sendmail
> with flags -q -v -t as suggested. The output is below. Any ideas why the
> name server is returning this response? It happens with any alias on the
> server that references to an external address. My suspicion is that sendmail
> is querying the local named, which shouldn't be running (I'm using my
> upstream DNS instead, which insists that all of these domains exist), and is
> likely broken if it is. How do I check that?
>
> I've also just sent a message straight to bootymasta@geocities.com from pine
> (via telnet off the problem machine), and it also returned a message saying
> that mail2b.geo.yahoo.com could not be found. What is sendmail doing?
>
> esther# /usr/sbin/sendmail -q -v -t
> Running LAA01785 (sequence 1 of 2)
> <booty@hardcore.ab.ca>... aliased to bootymasta@geocities.com

> bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail.geocities.com. via esmtp...
> bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail1b.geo.yahoo.com. via esmtp...
> bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail1a.geo.yahoo.com. via esmtp...
> bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail2a.geo.yahoo.com. via esmtp...
> bootymasta@geocities.com... Connecting to mail2b.geo.yahoo.com. via esmtp...

Well, resolver got the MX records for geocities.com and
this is strange that U couldnt connect to any of
mailexchangers. Could U tcpdump ur telnet on 25 port to
any of them using domainnames and IPs that I supplied below:
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.30
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.29
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.139
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.42
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.138
mail.geocities.com      internet address = 209.1.224.44
mail??.geo.yahoo.com    internet address = 206.251.17.77
(last 4 have the same IP).

> bootymasta@geocities.com... Host unknown (Name server:
> mail2b.geo.yahoo.com.: host not found)

Well, now U should check ur resolver&bind configuration.
If U run local bind U have to have /etc/resolve.conf smth like
this:

domain          ur.isp.domain.name
nameserver      [127|10|192|177].0.0.1 195.64.229.1

if no local bind- just:
domain          ur.isp.domain.name
nameserver      195.64.229.1

then use nslookup to query ur bind and check answers.
for this purpose man nslookup will help U.

> <dan@alphamale.ab.ca>... Connecting to local...
> 220 esther.su.ualberta.ca LMTP ready
> 250-esther.su.ualberta.ca
> 250-8BITMIME