Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:14:16 -0400
From:      Damian Gerow <damian.g@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw fwd

I'm looking for a little bit of help with my firewall configuration.

A while ago, I set up a firewall using ipfw after some troubles getting
NAT to work.  Everything works fine now, but I can't get "ipfw fwd" to
work.  I've got one external IP, and wish to run a mail server on the
private network inside, forwarding all SMTP traffic destined for the
firewall to this SMTP server.

Here's the applicable rules (in this order):

ipfw add fwd 10.0.0.25 log logamount 500 tcp from any to ${oip} 25
ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ${oif}
ipfw add pass all from any to any keep-state ipoptions established

Default policy is set to deny.  I also happen to be running BIND on this
same machine, and found that I had to put the "ipfw allow" rules in
before the natd rules, or it wouldn't work.  But this is another
question.

Can anyone help?